Thursday, November 6, 2008

Helen Johnson's Testimony Part 1

SOLT Haiti Mission Witness Statement of Helen Johnson – Sep. 15-23, 2008

The Call to Go

There comes a time in life when you begin to search for a little deeper meaning to it all. For me, that search began a few years back when I felt the Lord calling me: calling me to a closer and deeper relationship by serving Him more earnestly, more faithfully, unconditionally, obediently, and totally surrendered. In order to do that, I’d have to reprioritize everything in my life, by first coming to the foot of the cross, where – through His mother – I’d find the will of God for me. And in looking back at my life thus far, the crosses I’ve had to carry have been kindling sticks compared to His. But even more revealing has been just how little my crosses are compared to the people He has sent me to serve in the mission fields. And it is in seeing the crosses that they carry that I lose any pretense that my life is difficult. From the moment I get up in the morning to the moment I lay my head down at night, I am truly blessed. And in the night, I sleep with a comfort level in regards to shelter, food, clothing, employment, etc. that the majority of the world envies.

Having spent a few months on mission in Mexico, I was excited about the opportunity for a new experience. And while we seldom hear anything positive about Haiti, I knew that all of that needs to be disregarded to go on mission, and, I trusted that Fr. Glenn wouldn’t put us in harms way.

Setting Out

So, off we went, leaving on Sept. 15th, the Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows, and I thought that was rather appropriate, as we were going to a nation considered one of, if not the, poorest in the western hemisphere. How Our Lady of Sorrows must look down, not just on the people of Haiti, but on all the poor and destitute of the world, and be so sad that the riches her Son has poured out on so many is not shared more generously so that all can have the dignity and respect they deserve as His children. She continues to look down and see her Son, persecuted, abandoned, abused, naked, cold, thirsty, and with nowhere to lay His head.

After spending the night in Ft. Lauderdale, we flew to Port-au-Prince on Tuesday. As you enter the airport, you’re greeted with beautiful Caribbean style music that puts you in a rather cheerful spirit. While it belies the political situation in the country, it does represent the joyful, warm, and friendly Haitian people that we have come here to serve.

After the unbelievable hustle and bustle of the main airport terminal – so many men wanting to handle your luggage for a couple of bucks– we’re driven a short distance to a smaller terminal for the connecting flight with Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) to the city of Hinche. Since we’ll be flying in a puddle jumper, every passenger and piece of luggage must be weighed for proper distribution and placement in the airplane. So, we’ve decided that proper etiquette calls for everyone to turn their back to the scales whenever one of us is being weighed!

It’s only a 15-20 minute flight and a comfortable way to see the beautiful countryside (as opposed to the optional drive through unfriendly territory and roads that are unpredictable – if there at all). From the coast, you fly inland over mountainous terrain to the area of the country known as “The Plateau”. When approaching the dirt strip landing, you pray that all the people and animals will clear out of your way!

From there, the ride to the mission is exciting as you pass through the streets of Hinche, full of people, little shops, and homes that vary from the nicer, cinder-block style, to the more common stick and mud shacks of those less fortunate. It’s our first real glimpse of Haiti and her people, and they are just as curious about us as we are about them.

No comments: